Activity/Lesson Key Information
Matatalab could be used in a math class. Let us draw Arabic numbers with Matatalab!
Matatalab tangible coding language，Arabic numbers.
Draw Arabic numbers 0-9 with Matatalab Coding Set.
- Compare the difference between handwritten Arabic numbers and those drawn by MatataBot.
- Apply the motion blocks, including move forward, move backward, turn left, and turn right, to draw simple Arabic numbers (0, 1 and 7) .
- Draw the other Arabic numbers (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9) based on the provided programs.
- Explore the usage of the Loop blocks.
- Challenge to code the date of your birthday without the provided programs.
- MatataBot: A Robot
- Command: instructions given to a computer or robot
- Move forward: the MatataBot move forward 10cm
- Move backward: the MatataBot move backward 10cm
- Turn right : 90º turn to the robot’s right side
- Turn left: 90º turn to the robot’s left side
- Loop: repeat with the specified action
Students know how to use Matatalab Coding Set to program and control the movement of the MatataBot.
CSTA(K-2): 1A-CS-01, 1A-DA-05, 1A-DA-06, 1A-AP-10, 1A-AP-11, 1A-AP-14
ISTE：1a, 3a, 3c, 4a, 4c, 5c
Detailed Lesson Plan
1.Compare the difference between handwritten Arabic numbers and those drawn by MatataBot.
2.The teacher demonstrates how to draw Arabic number 1 with Matatalab.
Students need to:
1. Figure out the program to draw the Arabic numbers 0 and 7 by themselves.
2. Code to draw the Arabic numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 based on the programs for Arabic numbers 2 and 3 provided by the teacher.
4. Summary the usage of Loop blocks.
5. Challenge to code the date of their birthday without the provided programs.
Review the usage of Loop blocks.
Share your work with other students.
- I have all the programs for the ten Arabic numbers here. Which program could be used to draw number 0/1/2/3……?
- If I need to use the Loop blocks to draw a square, which program is the right one?
- Have you finished coding your birthday date? Please take them home and share with your parents.